Wednesday 19 October 2011

Blackpool's Comedy Carpet


A few weekends ago I visited Blackpool to find that the beach front walkway had been transformed into a mass construction site, not giving second thought that the workers were doing anything other than laying a boring concrete walkway. If I had only looked a little closer, I would have witnessed the construction of this spectacular Comedy Carpet. I could really kick myself for not looking!!

Why not Associates have teamed up with Gordon Young and designed this wonderful piece of typography. Embracing the corny charm of the well known boozy seaside town and at the same time celebrating the history of comedy acts to have performed at Blackpool, the comedy carpet is just hands down fab. It's so nice to see fun and playful design in such a huge scale in such a controversial location. Priceless! There's just the right amount of cheesiness combined with just the right amount of class ( ridiculously 'posh' as Young puts it, the carpet runway being the typical symbol of posh)

I wasn't about to return to Blackpool anytime soon, but now I'm wondering when I can plan my trip to walk the carpet!






No comments:

Post a Comment